[LAU] M/S EQ in Linux

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Sep 13 14:05:03 UTC 2013

On Friday 13 September 2013 09:47:46 Bob van der Poel did opine:

> On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 3:00 PM, Ralf Mardorf
>
> <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> > However, modern crappy 200 W and more hifi equipment often only works
> > when the music is insane loud, at sane levels the speakers and what
> > ever else in the sound chain, are more biased, than at blast level. I
> > had a neighbour who is young, with a modern hifi, who listened to
> > black eyed peas or other crap that does sound as criminal as they do.
> > The generation "I even listen to my music, when using the local
> > public transport, at full power, by my smart phone speaker" owns gear
> > that perhaps doesn't fulfill what should be expected for "HiFi"
> > equipment.
>
> Funny, or sad ... in the 60s and 70s phone companies boasted about the
> fidelity and robustness of their landlines, and now we need to put up
> with the crappy cell phone (which sounds like shit, and drops calls
> more frequently than a whore's drawers). Stereo systems were installed
> and balanced to a room, now it's a $20 pair of ear buds on a phone
> playing a lo-res mp3.
>
> And all this when it is easy and cheap to create very high quality
> stuff. Something is wrong. I figure that this is why we die when we
> get older ... we just can't stand the BS that modern life brings.

More truth than you want to admit there Bob.  I, because I can't buy a sink
bowl for our bathroom vanity (they haven't made that exact elliptical shape
in years), had to replace the whole thing yesterday in what started out to
be just a new faucet. $300 & change for a chipboard replacement for a real
wooden unit now 40 years old.  Real wood would have been special order, 2
months delivery, and $700.

I didn't even bother to screw this ones back strap to the wall.  I've a
stock of white ash that would make an outstanding vanity, and the new,
solid plastic top/sink will not notice when real wood replaces that
chipboard crap, isn't even fit for kindling to start a fire with, base that
is the one I just bought.  With a little luck I might get the new base done
before this one dissolves from the humidity.  I'm only 79 in 3 weeks, I
should have time enough left to do that. :)

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My web page: <http://gene.homelinux.net:6309/gene> should be up!

Microsoft is not Y2K compliant: Windows 95, 98, ... and back again to 01
         law-abiding citizens.