[LAU] Landlines, was Re: M/S EQ in Linux

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sun Sep 15 10:54:55 UTC 2013

On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 11:15:52AM +0100, Gordon JC Pearce wrote:

> I use a lot of four-wire landlines at work, which are considerably "flatter" than normal phone circuits.  You can order bare copper with flat response to about 10kHz which used to be used for broadcast links apparently.  The new AOD stuff is more reliable (and can be switched like telephone calls, unlike hardwired links) but is restricted to "telephone bandwidth" by the digital codecs used.

In the early years when I was working in radio we used temporary
landlines for all live outside broadcasts. They usually went from
the concert venue to the nearest transmitter site, where we had
microwave links back to Brussels unless those were in use by the
TV people. Audio quality was usually more than good enough for FM
broadcasting, and they were quite reliable. I remember only one
occasion when we had any trouble with them.

At some point we started experimenting with digital links based
on multiple ISDN connections. Those were a nightmare, you couldn't
trust them for more than five minutes. It took years before things
were sorted out.

Ciao,

--
FA