[LAU] Aeolus

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Wed Sep 18 22:25:13 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 18 September 2013 17:16:38 Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> It has come to my attention that there are ATM at least two
> 'forks' of Aeolus. The first by the MuseScore team, the second
> by one Maurizio Gavioli.

Fine so far. I would be happy if people were to fork some of my
inconsequential stuff.

> Neither of them even had the decency to let me know of their
> work,

Not a big problem. If this were to occur with some of my stuff in isolation, I
might think it a not wise move on t heir part but I don't think I would be
too miffed.

> and both are taking Aeolus in a direction I do not
> approve of.

Fine, but that is part of the whole Freedom game. People can take my song
lyrics and re-write them to convey a message that goes directly against what
I belive in. That is what free people can do. I don't want the level of
control over others that would allow me to prevent this. I would be happy if
I could figure how to make such insightful arguments that people would not
but that is a whole different ball game.

> Gavioli has even added his 'copyright' to the
> sources of the libraries that Aeolus depends on but which
> are not part of its source distribution. Apparently the
> intention is to release incompatible versions of those as
> well.

Here, you are being unclear and if it means one of the things I think it
could, Ican see you properly having a very big issue with this.

You say he has *even* added his 'copyright' to the sources of the libraries
that Aeolus depends on.

Does this mean he has also added his 'copyright' to Aeolus?

And when you say *added* his 'copyright', do you mean added his copyright to
the existing copyright notice or do you mean replaced the copyright notice
with one indicating he is the copyright holder for the complete work?

If copyright notices are getting replaced rather than updated with correct
additions, this is a serious issue.

> If this is typical for the attitude taken by the Linux Audio
> community then my motivation to contribute to it will take
> a serious blow.

I hope this issue gets sorted out to you satisfaction one way or another. I
would hate  to see your efforts removed from the Free Software and linmux
audio realm.

> As announced previously, there will be a fully reworked
> release of Aeolus next year (on the occasion of its 10th
> birthday). Apart from major improvements to the audio code
> it will be completely OSC controlled. None of this will be
> compatible with the forks of course, they'll find themselves
> instantly obsolete. And I will make sure that this sort of
> thing won't happen again, even if that means a more restrictive
> license.
>
> Ciao,

all the best,

drew