[LAU] [LAD] Community Interaction and Working Together

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Sat Sep 21 11:17:53 UTC 2013

Am 20.09.2013 13:50, schrieb Harry van Haaren:
> On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>wrote:
>
>> Harry, could you please post some links, when you have seen the
>> frustration you're talking about?
>>
> I'd much prefer focus on improving from where we are: not highlighting
> where communication may have broken down.
>
> I'd also like to get feedback from users, about what tools are needed most:
> plugins, synths, effects? Yet-Another-DAW?

To be perfectly honest: I am fine with what is available. Anyway in most
of the available gems there is room for improvement:

1.) Stability, everything should be rock solid
2.) Consistency such as: a preset stored in Ardour for a Calf-Synth
should be available also when I run that synth as a standalone or in
Qtractor and of course it should be restored reliably whenever I open a
session in which I had set up this preset before. And there should be
bridging plugins to connect any LV2, LinuxVST, DSSI or any other
thinkable plug in to any host(that is: to use a DSSI-synth in Ardour,
there should be some LV2-meta host plugin, that can load DSSI and
provide a connection to Ardours LV2-interface. This may be on the
expense of performance but I wuld not care for some more cycles or MB
RAM when I could run Whysynth in Ardour.
3.) Better connection to the outside world, especially to controllers
like TouchOSC and good tools to set up and store such connections
consistently.

I think, these things would be interesting for many, now pleas let me
utter a little wish of my own ;-)

I'd really like to see a new Wav-Editor that:

- works in real time like Ardour but offers some offline-stuff like
Audacity too(especially for noise-reduction and the like)

- offers time stretching at least in the quality of SND but with a nice
interface as Rezound used to have it.

- offers real time seamless looping with the ability to change the loop
while it is being played, as Rezound  once offered

- offers drawing tools for waveforms as Audacity has

- maybe has some of the virtues to analyse material as Sonic Visualiser
has (especially note-recognition and wave to MIDI capabilities).

And if such a beast would have some interface to Ardour, that allows to
manipulate regions while Ardour is running, it would upgrade from "just
great" to "absolutely awsome" ;-)

just my 2c...

Ohhhh before I forgot! Please keep maintaining Alsa Modular. I think, it
is one of the most capable application in the field of make your own
instrument that I ever have seen and in contrast to some others it
really works...

> If any of the above, please provide details / intended use-case.
>
> Cheers from a sunny Ireland, -Harry

Thanks for asking, Harry

from the ill weathered nether of saxony ;-)