[LAU] Filter arrangement - was- Bitwig: what we can learn from it

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Tue Apr 1 01:53:49 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-03-31 at 17:37 -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Mar 2014, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>
> > multiband compressors used for mastering
> I have found this out from experience (already)

:)

However, multiband compressor usage for the stereo sum isn't the enemy,
it's nice when producing pop music and hard rock. _But_ indeed good
usage of EQs for the tracks (even without compression at this stage)
makes a stereo sum compressor useless and the result is much more
satisfying. As Fons already pointed out, you don't know what's going on,
you don't have control about it, OTOH I've seen a lot of mastering folks
taking drugs at the wrong time, at some point even humans doing a good
EQ job for the tracks are as useful/useless as a multiband compressor is
for the stereo sum.