[LAU] Bitwig: what we can learn from it

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 11:19:10 UTC 2014

On 31/03/2014 16:23, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

> Make a simple test. Try doing the most basic thing in existing DAWs on
> Linux, including Bitwig -- getting sound out of a MIDI track --

Aren't DAWs supposed to be Digital Audio Workstations, i.e. dealing with
digital audio material? I guess you mean a Midi Sequencer...

MIDI is just a communication protocol to exchange 'musically-meaningful'
data between digital instruments, thus it makes sense that you don't
play it out of the box.

Anyway...

and
> count steps, then multiply it by 20 tracks to get a better idea of
> boring work you need to do every time (Hint: A3 will win, because I
> specifically bugged Paul about it).

With e.g. Rosegarden + Qsynth: [*]

1. In qsynth select a GM compatible (or GS) SoundFont (e.g. Fluidsynth
one available on most major distros)
2a. Connect Roesegarden's default midi out to Qsynth's midi in [**]
2b. Connect Qsynth audio out to your system out device input in jack [***]
3. In Rosegarden press play button.
4. Enjoy your MIDI-sounding masterpiece :-)

Ciao
Lorenzo.
[*] Assuming JACK is running, which is a precondition for the two
software to be running.
[**] Assuming the default midi out for individual tracks hasn't
explicitly been changed to something else, e.g. a softsynth. But by
default Rosegarden will use 'General Midi out' for new tracks or for
imported midi files
[***] Qsynth can actually be configured to autoconnect to jack Output.
In this case this passage isn't necessary