[LAU] [OT] Re: Bitwig: what we can learn from it

Tim Goetze tim at quitte.de
Wed Apr 2 08:17:46 UTC 2014

[Ralf Mardorf]
>On Wed, 2014-04-02 at 08:48 +0200, Tim Goetze wrote:
>> To quote Miles Davis, "I think people want to hear music and think
>> what they want to think."
>>
>> (I think this is especially true for live performances.  I -- like
>> probably most of us -- hold dear a couple of recordings exactly
>> because they so strongly express a particular emotion or state of
>> mind.)
>
>"Ausdruck befreit vom Sinn" (translated something like "Expression freed
>from any statement") - more or less the words of Christoph Schlingensief
>
>I can't agree with this as something good, it's evil, music is alive
>when there is a statement, when there are emotions by the artist who
>makes the music.
>
>Music made without personal feelings is a lie, a long time before we got
>scripted reality television, humans already made music comparable to
>scripted reality.

I think you misunderstand the point I was trying to make.  Of course
music is nothing without life.  But the problems come with trying to
burden the music with personal emotion.

A musical performance, I think, will only really work when you give
yourself up to the music itself and leave whatever is troubling or
exalting you outside because it will only keep from reaching true
flow.  (Once you're there, your personal truth will come shining
through anyway, if you don't mind me putting that in a slightly
esoteric way.  And notwithstanding, I don't think there's anything
wrong with playing an exalted, sad or even angry song when the time is
right, of course.)

Cheers,
Tim