[LAU] [OT] Re: Bitwig: what we can learn from it

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Wed Apr 2 09:39:05 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-04-02 at 11:12 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-04-02 at 08:42 +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> > The are some very strong emotions in La Traviata, and they are
> > expressed by the music, but they are certainly not Verdi's,
> > neither those of the performers.
>
> A story of a song or opera might be fictional and the composer and
> musicians might never have been in the situation the story is about, but
> they have a stock of experiences and emotions they could and should use.
> Peter Ustinov once claimed that he dislikes method acting, he claimed
> that he is (was) an actor, he doesn't need to feel what the character he
> plays feels, he is able to fake the emotion without feeling it. IMO
> there are many method actors who are much, much better than Peter
> Ustinov ever was. IMO we can notice if an artists does use a stock of
> experiences and emotions when making art or if he just use craftsmanship
> to fake emotions.

PS: You also could play a musical character, if you dislike the
character you play and you make this the emotion that should be
transported, instead of the emotion the character should feel.
Btw. music often should cause fun and not transport political
statements, however, if you sing The Wild Rover it might be less
entertaining when you're living Straight Edge.

Btw. you first claim that music should speak for itself, there shouldn't
be the need to know the background and then you're terrified when an
American reporter nowadays doesn't understand oldish European music ;).