[LAU] Bitwig: what we can learn from it

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Wed Apr 2 15:50:29 UTC 2014

On 04/01/2014 03:40 PM, James Harkins wrote:
> Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine at ...> writes:
[..]

>> Gordon basically summarized (in a rather arguable manner) a point that
>> we've discussed time and time again: if Linux audio is for geeks or
>> for full-time musicians.

apples vs oranges. If you're a casual blues guitarist, linux audio is
about as useful to you as a Bassoon :)

[.. description of an algorithmic composition ..]

> The point being that this sort of geekery a/ comes directly from a musical
> impulse (I can hear if the implementation isn't doing what I heard in my head)
> and b/ is grounded in a musical understanding of harmony (in fact, it models
> part of my thought process when I'm writing harmony by hand). But never mind
> that --

Actually, I do mind.

This is a very nice real-world example. You have an idea, managed to
describe it using abstract concepts which in turn can be formulated in a
language which - in this case - is interpreted by a computer. There's
nothing *geeky* about it at all.

> if I were writing dots on paper and debating whether to use
> interlocking woodwind voicing or not, THAT sort of geekery would be perfectly
> musical, but the fact that this particular music geekery is in SC means that
> it's... what was the phrase? "Autistic savant computer genius" territory.

exactly.

In some cases can do away with pen and papers, too. Just shout the idea
to the musicians next to you during a jam-session in whatever language
they understand.

I still find it hard to accept that creative people prefer a
point-and-drool user interface to express and realize their ideas.

> I don't know Bitwig, so I have no basis to evaluate Robin's assertion that
> it's a "toy."

I chose the word 'toy' carefully. You can have fun with toys, play with
toys and use them creatively. However, toys are usually limiting,
limited and often unreliable.

Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for the Bitwig team to
pull this off this project.

Anyway back on subject.

I think what we learned in this thread is that the expectations of many
[potential] linux audio users does not match the idea that many
developers have in mind.

Now, that's a bold provocative statement, but there you go.

2c,
robin