[LAU] Music Editors for Blind Users?

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Mon Apr 7 23:58:27 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 08, 2014 at 12:55:56AM +0300, Paul Davis wrote:

> actually i wasn't thinking of editing as much as mixing. you can remember
> the solo, mute, gain, and FX state of a moderately sized session in your
> head without a visual reminder?

Sure. As can every audio engineer who has done his share of
live mixing. Of course on a 'real' mixer some settings are
visible, but if you depend on that you'll be in trouble before
you know it - at least if you're dealing with 30+ channels.
Much of that depends on ergonomic design of the mixer, which
is what sets the real top class apart from the rest. In my
experience Neve was the best at that - you could reach for
any control and have the right one every time, even when the
the only lights were the level meters and a candle or two,
as was often the case.

I *do* remember the first time I had to do anything on this
scale 'on air' - it was quite scary. Studio 1 in Brussels,
big band, 20 or so players + solos, Harrison console, live
broadcast and 24-track recording. All levels carefully set
before turned out wrong because the band had been drinking
between the rehearsal and the concert, and they were 'in
the mood'. But after a few times you get your grips on the
situation and you can relax.

Ciao,

--
FA