[LAU] wav composer not toilet non-release

James Morris james at jwm-art.net
Tue Apr 8 09:45:09 UTC 2014

On Mon, 07 Apr 2014 03:22:22 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com> wrote:

> I listened to bass01.wav and fox02.wav, for my taste the produced
> "music" is strange. I looked at the wc files of those wav files. Is
> there an explanation of the "near english synth definition
> psuedo-language"? What is it good for? I guess I'm missing something.

I haven't updated the sourceforge website for years and haven't had time
to. There's some very outdated help and explanations there - but a lot
has changed.

There's also the command line help just run `./wcnt --help` for an
overview.

`wcnt -mh` (module help) will give a list of modules, add -v to it to
show the same list with an additional short description of each.

`wcnt -mh adder` will show help for the adder module. Again, -v will
give short information about the inputs and parameters.

I've design the output provided for the module (and data-object) help to
be copy-and-pasted into a text file - with hopefully obvious changes
for the user to make.

The verbose module help can get very confusing unfortunately. A case in
point is for the adsr which is designed to have a (multi-staged) upper
and lower shape which can be modulated by velocity or whatever. This is
where the flexibility I mentioned comes into play. It allows you to
specify a single shape to save time/typing/verbosity (as well as omit
parameters and inputs where not needed). It still looks a bit messy,
and you definitely want a lot of terminal real-estate to display it.

Multi-choice items are shown with a (Cn) after them, where n is the
number of the choice. Mostly a case of choosing one or the other
choices. A choice can have multiple items.

Group items are shown with a (Gn), where n is simply to seperate one
group from another where they follow on from one another. You must
either ommit _all_ items in a group or specify all.

Optional items are marked (o), and mandatory items marked (*).

The adsr can be as simple as:

adsr
aeg1
    envelope
        section name attack
            time  15.0  level  1.0
        section name decay
            time 35.0   level  0.8
        section name release
            time  25.0	level  0.0
    envelope

    in_note_on_trig     seq1    out_note_on_trig
    zero_retrigger  	off
    sustain_state    	on
    in_note_off_trig    seq1    out_note_off_trig
aeg1

But it might take a while to get that from the verbose module help, and
the non-verbose module help doesn't give any indication of that at all.
The adsr is one of the more complex modules however.

James.