[LAU] hardware - Intel CPUs

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Apr 17 22:16:16 UTC 2014

On Thursday 17 April 2014 18:12:12 Hans Wilmers did opine:

> On 04/16/2014 02:54 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Sound is nominally 720 miles per hour. Rather leisurely IOW.
> > A perfect cable is C speed, 258 times faster.  But cable (coaxial)
> > actually range in speeds between 66% of C for home usable cables, to
> > around 98% of C for 9" diameter high power broadcast stuff, C being
> > 186,272 miles per second in a vacuum.  Thats 298,035.2 kilometers per
> > second for the metric folks here.
>
> Just a tiny comment to the speed ratio: There is a missing factor
> seconds/hour. Light is travelling in the magnitude of one million faster
> than sound in air.

Gack!  I hate it when I miss the obvious stuffs. So 258 or 259 *3600 for
the speed ratio in round figures.  Round figures light is 930,600  times
faster than sound.

Definitely my bad.  Open reply, insert foot fresh from mouth.  Duh!

> / Hans

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)