[LAU] hardware - Intel CPUs

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Apr 17 22:37:11 UTC 2014

On Thursday 17 April 2014 18:18:05 david did opine:

> On 04/17/2014 12:13 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >> Then running your sound from stage to backhouse sound board back to
> >> stage and hearing it through headphones would give no latency at all.
> >
> > For an analogue board, small fraction of a millisecond, for a digital
> > board, anybodies guess. A/D and D/A's are essentially pretty quick,
> > but I'd still put most digital boards above a millisecond.
>
> That's interesting. We're looking into replacing the analog board with a
> digital one.

We replaced an old 12 stereo channel 48 input logitek analog board,
couldn't keep ahead of replacing the CDS channel switches in it because it
was full of 5532's and even with added fans, their life in that heat was
about a year, with a 24 input Macky(SP?).  Digital, programmable motorized
gain pots, very low noise.  But we had to shut the studio monitors off, the
delay had our talent stumbling over their own shoelaces trying to read the
teleprompter.

I didn't have a way to measure it, other than a dual trace scope and hand
claps which said 16 to 17 ms, but I'd have guessed around 20.  Knowing what
to expect, I still couldn't read the opening paragraph of a tv technology
article without stumbling lots of times if the monitor was loud enough to
sound like an echo.  The TD can still talk in their ear, but no backfeed
goes out that circuit, its killed when the mics go live.

We have an even newer board now, 48 stereo wide SMPTE out, and I believe
its considerable faster than the Macky was, but I don't think the studio
monitors are used for anything but talkback during commercials yet. I've
been retired since mid 2002, and haven't really tracked that stuff 100%
since.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)