[LAU] hardware - Intel CPUs

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Fri Apr 18 18:55:40 UTC 2014

On Thu, 17 Apr 2014, david wrote:

> I've discovered on my desktop that if I disable the onboard audio (which I
> don't use at all), ALSA doesn't load or start.

My multi-tracking audio card is pci so the system is seeing it before alsa
loads, that may not be the case with USB audio. In fact with a PCI sound
card, the bios may have to deal with it before the kernel ever sees the
system, so it is the same as an internal card. I use two cards, I have a
delta 66 for tracking and an ensoniq (pre soundblaster) card that is only
used for it's MIDI interface. I wish I could just load the midi part of
the ens1370 driver, but I guess the audio quality is (for what it is)
usable if I really want 8 ins (I only have 8 mic pres)... but I have yet
to use more than 2 inputs at once anyway.

Jackdbus starts with session, PA has all devices turned off so any audio
goes through jack. I think I will hack together something in the systray
for changing jack's latency... maybe turn off pa-jack as latency goes
down... turn off some of the system services while I am at it, deal with
ondemand too.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net