[LAU] MIDI over firewire on Linux?

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Sun Apr 20 17:53:52 UTC 2014

On 04/20/2014 05:35 PM, Len Ovens wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Apr 2014, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
>
>> On 04/19/2014 07:13 PM, Len Ovens wrote:
>>> except in USB3 ports on Intel USB3 ports which are... broken at least
>>> for low latency audio (Intel agrees).
>>
>> No issues here on a notebook with Intel 3rd Gen Core processor (that's
>> Ivy Bridge right?) tech in it. My notebook at work with Haswell ULX tech
>> has no issues either. Could you ground your conclusion with relevant
>> articles?
>
> https://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/33427.page

Thanks! I was already familiar with that thread. I need to do some more
reading but so far I see a lot of assumptions, no solid proof.

> Is a good start. It has links to other resources as well. This has
> started to be an issue in linux starting with kernel 3.13 or so (at
> least that is where I see the bug reports lp: #1308628, It could be
> earlier as the reporter was using 3.2 before upgrade) when the USB3
> driver xchi-hda shows up. (that seems to indicate to me that earlier
> kernels do not support USB3)

http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/USB_XHCI_HCD.html

So since 3.7.

 Mother board manufactures may choose to use
> other HW for their USB3 ports even with the ivy bridge chip. This would
> not affect USB1.1 audio stuff and may not affect all USB2 audio gear
> either. It has affected both native instruments and presonus interfaces
> though. In the windows world, it seems there have been driver changes to
> fix this.
>
> In all I know less than I would like. I do not have any USB2 audio gear,
> or any USB3 ports. My take on the Intel possition is that once the chip
> is out it can't really be fixed so call it "not a problem". Fix it in
> the next version. A recall on chips that are soldered to the board is
> even harder than just the pluggable cpu and it affects a very small
> percentage of users. Even in the audio community USB2 audio device users
> with no option but usb3 ports is small.

I guess I'm not the first and also not the only one who owns an Intel
based notebook with only USB3 ports. And in my case my USB2 audio
interface works very well.

Jeremy