[LAU] MIDI hardware with Linux

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at cosgroves.us
Mon Apr 21 15:09:54 UTC 2014

On 21 April 2014 at 2:30, <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> wrote:

> ---- Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc at cosgroves.us> wrote:
> >
> > On 20 April 2014 at 7:54, "F. Silvain" <silvain at freeshell.de> wrote:
> >
> > > Kevin Cosgrove, Apr 20 2014:

> > > Hey Kevin,
> > > I've got the same card and I use MIDI everytime I work with my system.
> > > Why do you use a2jmidid, when JACK has its own option?
> > > jackd ... -Xseq
> > > Valid for JACK1 and JACK2 (JACKmp).
> >
> > The Mackie above is a control surface.  I want to use it with Ardour.
> > Here are some instructions for that.  The 1st link references the
> > 2nd, which references the 3rd.
> >
> > http://manual.ardour.org/using-control-surfaces/devices-using-mackielogic-control-protocol/
> >
> > http://manual.ardour.org/using-control-surfaces/devices-using-mackielogic-control-protocol/mackie-control-setup-on-linux/
> >
> > http://manual.ardour.org/setting-up-your-system/setting-up-midi/midi-on-linux/
> >
> > That last link says to "uncheck the Misc > Enable ALSA Sequencer support"
> > which is the same thing as avoiding "-Xseq".  After going through that,
> > and going with "a2jmidid -e" then my Behringer BCF2000 control surface
> > worked just fine.
> >
> > But, the Mackie has no USB port, only MIDI ports, and I have not been
> > able to get anything Linux to talk to it.
>
> Did you try a USB<>MIDI connector?

Not yet.  I don't own one.  If a USB<>MIDI device is the correct
way to get MIDI hardware communication to work, then I'll get
such a unit.  But, I don't want to buy one for troubleshooting,
if it's not needed.  Is it generally agreed that a USB<>MIDI unit
is needed?

The last time I did this I used a Soundblaster card which had a
game/MIDI port and that worked fine to communicate over MIDI.
Now I have a Delta 1010 with MIDI ports.  But, that's the only
MIDI connected within my computer.  I haven't been able to
get that to work for me.  So far, nobody suggested that this
shouldn't work, nor how to get it to work, if it's supposed to
work.

Thanks...

--
Kevin