[LAU] HW upgrade - new computer

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon Apr 28 20:56:35 UTC 2014

On Mon, 28 Apr 2014, Clemens Ladisch wrote:

> Len Ovens wrote:
>> Memory: 8G, all one stick, which is slower than two 4G sticks...
>>     maybe not the best choice, but seems ok.
>
> I doubt that the difference is measurable, let alone noticeable.
> In any case, this allows easier upgrading to 16 GB. :)

That was my thought too.

>> Disk: 2TB sata about 5 years old (as I recall)
>
> Nowadays, not using an SSD tends to be the bottleneck.
> (But this is probably not the case for streaming audio.)

I have to be careful where I spend my money... so one thing at a time.
What I have is already a very big step up from what I had.

>> I chose this MB because it had three pci slots
>
> The PCIe/PCI bridges built into chipsets are reliable, but motherboards
> that have a separate chip for this tend to use cheap crap.
>
> Your ASM1083 is infamous.  Revision 1 was unusably buggy; rev. 3 mostly
> works (except for virtualization).  Which one do you have (lspci)?

PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI
Express Root Port #3 (rev d5)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev d5)

I am not sure which is which. The first may be the express port.

>> ASUS was nice enough to list the irq layout of the pci(e) slots in the
>> user guide.
>
> "Nice" isn't enough, it should be _correct_ (which was not the case for
> my last Asus manual).

Most of my MB manuals so far have had nothing and so I have had to try
various slots and see what I get. In any case cat /proc/interupts tells me
I have two clear irqs for my two PCI cards.

> Anyway, PCIe devices that support MSI use a completely separate
> interrupt line.  (USB3 ports, graphics, and built-in audio should be
> harmless then.)

I have no PCIe devices at this time.

--
Len Ovens