[LAU] Change MIDI controller's channel from PC

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Wed Apr 30 23:51:45 UTC 2014

On Wed, 30 Apr 2014, Federico Galland wrote:

> Hi,
> My question is exactly the subject's.
> The controller in question is a MIDIPLUS Origin 49, connected to my laptop through a usb cable.
> Qjackctl lists a midi input to the controller so I'm wondering if there is any way to set the midi channel from the computer.
> In case there is a workaround, what I'm trying to do is to have the 8 knobs and 8 sliders on this controller mapped to, for instance, all the controls in calf organ.
> Then I could assign one of the sliders to control the midi output's channel (or the keyboard's preset), and control other features of the synth in question.
> The controller does have a way to change its output channel, but one has to use the piano keys for that, which means one would have to stop playing.

I would guess a midi router could take the controller messages from
whatever channel and redirect them to another. I happen to have
qmidiroute, but I would imagine PD would allow even more control. There
are others as well that may be better. You should even be able to route
one control to one channel and another to a different one. This should add
little to your CPU usage as it is just looking for a byte stream and
changing one of them for the new channel.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net