[LAU] JACK on Pi... almost working

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Sat Aug 2 00:55:09 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 01, 2014 at 07:09:00AM +0100, Will Godfrey wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Aug 2014 07:42:06 +0200
> Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy at autostatic.com> wrote:
>
> > On 07/30/2014 11:01 AM, Gerhard Zintel wrote:
> > > use a Banana Pi, it is not nearly as crappy as Raspberry, much more powerfull (2 cores, 1 GHz, 1 GB), consumes less power and only a bit more expensive:
> > >
> > > see here
> > > http://hardware-libre.fr/2014/06/raspberry-vs-banana-hardware-duel/
> > > and here
> > > http://hardware-libre.fr/2014/06/raspberry-vs-banana-vs-a10-olinuxino-powering-and-sata-performance/
> > >
> > > Gerhard
> >
> > What I like about the RPi is that it is afaik still the cheapest board
> > available. It also has a huge community and it's not being run by a
> > company but a foundation with a non-profit goal.
> > For real-time audio purposes it is certainly not the best choice, but
> > then, what do you expect for that price? And what do you expect from a
> > device that is made for educational purposes, not real-time,
> > low-latency, pro audio?
> >
> > Jeremy
>
> Exactly!
> This is something people seem to forget when they complain that it can't do
> this, or that. They also forget that the founders sank their own personal money
> into this project at the start, called on favours and twisted arms.

I still like the BeagleBone; it feels like a proper, well-engineered
development board.

The right tool for the synth job will eventually make itself known.

The Allwinner-based boards like the Banana and the Cubie and maybe
even the Udoo will be the right board for a synth; thanks for the tips.

The benchmark is my old EEE 1000. It had 2GB RAM and 1GHZ CPU. And
that was enough for me to gig with for years. So, as soon as a
1Ghz board with maybe 1GB RAM or 2GB RAM and well-designed dual-USB
connectivity comes down into the under-$100 range, there's the synth
I was hoping to build in 2007. I need only sit back and wait for
Moore's Law to do its magic. Eventually it will happen.

-ken