[LAU] [Bulk] Re: music software for kids

Carlos sanchiavedraz csanchezgs at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 17:03:50 UTC 2014

El 28/07/2014 16:43, "Brian Sorahan" <brian at gospacecraft.com> escribió:

> Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
>
> @Ralf I halfway agree that you can learn the basics of more
fully-featured software by fiddling around. I also think that "babyish"
music software can be a lot of fun, and there is nothing wrong with a child
using it. I definitely plan on steering my 2 boys towards the powerful
programs (that I think are really fun), but if they have tons of fun making
cheesy little ditties with toy software (like I did when I was young), then
I'm all for it.

> On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 4:54 AM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com>
wrote:

>> I assume that the 10 year old child isn't retarded, so the best thing
>> IMO is to really learn how to make music, instead of using babyish music
>> software. Learning without teaching is possible, just by fiddling
>> around. A short explanation how to use Qtractor or a simple MIDI app,
>> adding a virtual keyboard or a real MIDI keyboard, using fluidsynth or
>> similar shouldn't expect too much of a 10 year old, even when there's
>> not much interest, just a little bit fiddling around is wanted. Reading
>> documentations isn't needed, I'm a dyslexic, so I know whereof I speak.
>> Btw. I worked a lot with children around that age, my last job working
>> with those children was from beginning of this year until the the
>> beginning of this month (school hols).
>>
>> 2 Cents,
>> Ralf

Just to add a bit, more in the music programming side, FWIW, there's Sonic
PI:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/projects/raspberrypi/sonicpi/
https://duckduckgo.com/lite/sonic+pi+children

Although I think it's better tinkering and experimenting, touch and feel
and hear, as it's already said.