[LAU] Record from M-Audio 2496 S/PDIF input

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sun Aug 3 06:40:48 UTC 2014

On Sat, 2 Aug 2014, Ivan K wrote:

> Thanks to everyone whom responded.
We try....

> == ==   Readable Clients/
> == ==   Output Ports
> == ==   - system
> == ==     capture_1
> == ==     capture_2
>
> on the right, and then on the left, I see:
>
> == ==   Writable Clients/
> == ==   Input Ports
> == ==   - system
> == ==     playback_1
> == ==     playback_2
> == ==     playback_3
> == ==     playback_4
> == ==     playback_5
> == ==     playback_6
> == ==     playback_7
> == ==     playback_8

This does not look 2496 ish, it looks audiophile 192 ish... from my
understanding and concidering I have not used either one of them. This to
say that there are two m-audio audiophile models... that use two different
kernel modules for two different chips inside.

The difference is that the 2496 uses the ice1712 which should show as 12
inputs and 10 outputs... same as the delta44 delta66 (I have this) and
delta1010. The 192 has an ice1724 which is 4 in and 8 out... but the
analog in and the digital in are different devices. The analog in would be
hw:0,0 and the s/pdif would be hw:0,1.

This page:
http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8898
seems to verify that much.

So, after you have jack running try running:
zita-a2j -d hw:0,1 -r 48000 -p 256 -n2 -c 2

This assumes your USBDualTubePre is set to 48000... and you have set Jack
that way too :) Change the 48000 to 44100 otherwise. This would show up in
qjackctl as zita-a2j capture_1 and 2 (does here)

if you don't have zita-a2j (you should download it) you can test with
alsa_in instead.
alsa_in -j spdif -d hw:0,1 -r 48000 -p 256 -n 2 -c 2

This would show up in qjackctl as spdif capture_1 and 2

The -r value should be the same as your analog i/o and your pre s/pdiff
rate (rear panel switch)

The -p value (with zita-a2j) can be one step less than you have jack set
(I may get corrected :)
and -n should be the same.

--
Len Ovens