[LAU] Measuring the acoustical characteristics of my studio using FLOSS software?

Carlos sanchiavedraz csanchezgs at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 16:22:53 UTC 2014

> On 07/23/2014 06:14 AM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 07:52:52AM +0200, Gabriel Nordeborn wrote:
>>
>>> So, my question is: How on earth do I do this?! Are there FLOSS tools
>>> available for this? Is it easy to do something as basic as this?
>>

>> It's not basic and not easy.

>> If you want to correct your system after the room is finished, the
>> DRC software <http://drc-fir.sourceforge.net/> is the way to go.
>> Make sure to read the excellent documentation, all of it, so you
>> have and idea of what you're doing. It will explain some of the
>> hairy things I hinted at earlier. DRC will produce IR filters
>> which you can use with jconvolver (or with any other convolution
>> processor). The result will be much better than when using e.g.
>> a graphic EQ, because DRC does things that a simple equaliser
>> can't do.
>

> A good reference here:
> http://lac.linuxaudio.org/2008/download/papers/18.pdf
>
> ----
> AMBI at Home ­ The search for extra­frontal intelligence
> Linux Audio Conference 2008, Cologne
> Jörn NETTINGSMEIER
> ----
>
> Although the paper talks about an Ambisonics rig at home, it also dwells on
> room correction and DRC (which is good for Ambisonics and everything else).
>
> I'm doing the same in my home studio and DRC does help (but of course it is
> not magic)...
> Good luck!
> -- Fernando

I'm not an acoustic expert, but maybe this helps.
It seems to me that the main critical points in a room are the ones
which produce early reflections, specially the areas at both sides of
your listening position (LP) where sound reflects and bounces back to
you (so it arrives at a different time than direct sound from
speakers). You can take in consideration the point right above the LP
as well.

There's a simple technique that may help to find those spots to have
in account for a potential acoustic treatment:

- Pick a mirror
- From your listening position perspective and moving the mirror (you
know, with its back to the wall), find the areas where you see the
image of your speakers reflected in the mirror. It's better to have
some helping hand so you can stay seated in your LP.

The point is: if you see the speakers/the light reflected from the
speakers that gets to your eyes bounced from the mirror, then the
sound will get to you bounced on those areas as well.

On this site you can get some sketches for a good placement of
acoustic elements and advice if you give the dimensions of your room:
http://www.auralex.com/ikc/

--

C. sanchiavedraZ:
* NEW / NUEVO:     www.sanchiavedraZ.com