[LAU] Measuring the acoustical characteristics of my studio using FLOSS software?

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sun Aug 3 21:54:56 UTC 2014

On Sun, Aug 03, 2014 at 10:39:42PM +0200, Gabriel Nordeborn wrote:

> So, if the mirror trick doesn't work as intended, is there some other rule
> of thumb I can use when placing my absorber panels on the sides of my LP?
> Fons?

The mirror trick will help you to remove the first reflection
of the side walls for mid and high frequencies. If that will
improve the sound remains to be seen. What is very clear is
that it won't do much to improve a bad room sound because
that is not the result of just those first reflections.

Remember the last time you were standing close to a wall ?
Did that wall create a 'mirror image' of sounds arriving
from the other side ? I'm  pretty sure it didn't, one reason
being that your brain will reject such images - even if you
wanted to 'see' them you wouldn't be able to. Not until the
delays get a lot larger than what a typical room will produce,
and them we're talking about discrete echos.

There are no 'rules of thumb' except some based on reliable
measurements of acoustic parameters.

Ciao,

--
FA