[LAU] Record from M-Audio 2496 S/PDIF input

Ivan K ivan_521521 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 4 18:57:42 UTC 2014

Thanks again to everyone who is helping me out.
I try to work with and digest everything that
people suggest which is why I do not respond
right away.

Let me fill you in on a few problems I have
had over the last day or more.

First: when I was trying to start Jack up
with qjackctl, I would get a window which read:

# [Window]
# Error - JACK Audio Connection Kit:
#
# Could not connect to JACK server as client.
# - Overall operation failed.
# - Unable to connect to server.
# Please check the messages window for more info.

The message window had a lot of text, some of
which was:

# Messages:
# 20:19:52.805 Patchbay deactivated.
# 20:19:52.817 Statistics reset.
# 20:19:52.870 ALSA connection change.
# Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory

After using GOOGLE to try to locate an answer to this
question, I came across this solutions:

  delete {$HOME}/.jackdrc
  delete {$HOME}/.config/rncbc.org/QjackCtl.conf

  make the user that you are trying to run Jack under
  a member of the "audio" group. (I am running Fedora 20
  if that matters, maybe other distributions do not have
  an "audio" group.

With that, Jack was able to start again.

HOWEVER ... I have lost some of my M-Audio cards
functionality.

qjackctl's [Connect] window under the Audio tab
USE TO DISPLAY THIS:

On Sat, 2 Aug 2014, Ivan K wrote:

> == ==   Readable Clients/Output Ports
> == ==   - system
> == ==     capture_1
> == ==     capture_2
>
> on the right, and then on the left, I see:
>
> == ==   Writable Clients/Input Ports
> == ==   - system
> == ==     playback_1
> == ==     playback_2
> == ==     playback_3
> == ==     playback_4
> == ==     playback_5
> == ==     playback_6
> == ==     playback_7
> == ==     playback_8

BUT NOW, since my problem with starting JACK up,
the "Writable Clients/Input Ports" box is blank.
I lost my eight "writeable ports" and I am presently
working to get them back.  Any tips would be
appreciated.

Incidentally, what do these eight playback connections
represent.  The "M-Audio Audiophile 2496" only has
three outputs, left and right analog and S/PDIF.
And so do these playbacks 1 through 8 refer to some
sort of mixing channels in the firmware of the
Audiophile 2497?

To repeat, though, I have lost these playbacks 1 through
eight in the Writable Clients/Input Ports box.  How can
I get them back?

Responding directly to others,
Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> writes:

> This does not look 2496 ish, it looks audiophile 192 ish...
> This to say that there are two m-audio audiophile models... that use
> two different kernel modules for two different chips inside.

Oh my card is definitely the "M-Audio Audiophile 2496".  It says
so on the box. And the commands aplay and arecord list the device as:

  card 0: M2496 [M Audio Audiophile 24/96], device 0: ICE1712 multi [ICE1712 multi]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

> [...]
> zita-a2j -d hw:0,1 -r 48000 -p 256 -n2 -c 2
> alsa_in -j spdif -d hw:0,1 -r 48000 -p 256 -n 2 -c 2

I will report on my success and failure with the
zita-a2j/alsa_in commands soon.

Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com> writes:

> and don't forget to chose 'S/PDIF in', _not_ 48000 for the sound card's
> clock.

I will not loose that bit of information.

Thank you all for your continued help.