[LAU] Record from M-Audio 2496 S/PDIF input

Ivan K ivan_521521 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 4 22:34:14 UTC 2014

I wrote:

> HOWEVER ... I have lost some of my M-Audio cards
> functionality.
>
> qjackctl's [Connect] window under the Audio tab
> USE TO DISPLAY THIS:
>
> On Sat, 2 Aug 2014, Ivan K wrote:
>> > == ==   Readable Clients/Output Ports
> > == ==   - system
> > == ==     capture_1
> > == ==     capture_2
>> > on the right, and then on the left, I see:
> >
> > == ==   Writable Clients/Input Ports
> > == ==   - system
> > == ==     playback_1
> > == ==     playback_2
> > == ==     playback_3
> > == ==     playback_4
> > == ==     playback_5
> > == ==     playback_6
> > == ==     playback_7
> > == ==     playback_8
>
> BUT NOW, since my problem with starting JACK up,
> the "Writable Clients/Input Ports" box is blank.
> I lost my eight "writeable ports" and I am presently
> working to get them back.  Any tips would be
> appreciated.

I think I figured out why this is so.  Jack is currently configured
to look for "card 0" as displayed in /proc/asound/cards

Yesterday, "card 0" was my M-Audio 2496, and eight
"Writable Clients/Input Ports" were visible in qjackctl.

Today, "card 0" is my webcam and my M-Audio 2496
is "card 1".  My webcam has no playback capability
(just a microphone) and so qjackctl now displays no
"Writable Clients/Input Ports".

I imagine I changed the numbers on my audio devices
with all of the fiddling I have been doing.

Questions:

  How do I change the audio devices back, so my
  M-Audio card is "card 0".

Or

  How to I get jack/qjackctl to look for "card 1"
  rather than "card 0"?

Thank you all again for your help and patience.

P.S.  I still am interested in the answer to this as well:

> Incidentally, what do these eight playback connections
> represent.  The "M-Audio Audiophile 2496" only has
> three outputs, left and right analog and S/PDIF.
> And so do these playbacks 1 through 8 refer to some
> sort of mixing channels in the firmware of the
> Audiophile 2497?

Thanks.