[LAU] First release of zita-njbridge

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Tue Aug 5 03:17:46 UTC 2014

On Mon, Aug 04, 2014 at 07:39:20PM +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 04, 2014 at 12:18:31PM -0700, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
>
> > I'm curious... This application excites me based on the following theoretical layout:
> >
> > Budget studio with say at least 1 strong central DAW in a control room. Other satellite
> > rooms tht can be linked with Gig Ethernet and smaller (cheaper) platforms in those rooms
> > for maybe recording certain instruments (drums might be a bitch even at low latencies)
> > an feeding those channels back to the master. Effectively replacing shielded audio cables
> > (which run into real money) for a Cat5e or Cat6 cable and gig ports either side. Gig
> > switches and cards have become cheap, especially compared to half decent shielded pair
> > audio cable.
> >
> > Is this reasonable as it relates to the application?
>
> I'm not entirely convinced by the cost argument, unless you'd wire
> a lot of channels. You still need a PC and soundcard at the other
> end.
>
> But if you can live with the extra latency (which can be kept low
> in particular if you use dedicated NICs and wiring), yes this
> could be a use case.
>
> Another use case for a studio would be to make the studio output(s)
> available everywhere in the building - offices, bar, etc.
>
> I originally developed this to be able to record concerts at the
> concert hall of the CdM in the studio which is at the other end
> of the building and on a different floor. Installing audio cables
> or an optical fibre was out of the question, but there is network
> wiring everywhere.

Wouldn't really require this software, but a friend owns a studio
and I ran a wire for him from his studio to his garage door,
and put an FM transmitter there, so that he can listen to
mixes in his car in the driveway, and adjust them on the fly.
His WIFI reaches to the driveway and he has an iPad with screen
sharing to control his DAW. He loves it; mix right there in the car!

-ken