[LAU] Slowing down audio while keeping same pitch ?

Atte atte at youmail.dk
Wed Aug 6 22:01:35 UTC 2014

On 07/30/2014 02:47 AM, jonetsu at teksavvy.com wrote:
> Is it possible to slow down an audio file (mp3 for instance) while
> keeping the same pitch ?

I have to share a funny story from the beginning of time:

Years ago I was doing electronic music with a friend. We only dreamed
about time-stretching until we finally we able to get the (then new)
akai S1000, that could do time stretching. We never heard the effect but
had fantasized about how we could use it musically for years.

So first thing to do on the akai: Sample a break beat and stretch it.
Tiny display, no idea what parameters meant, so my friend dialed in some
numbers and hit "do it". I honestly think we waited for two hours for
the akai to process the break beat. Ancious to hear the result, hit a
note and it went wwwwhhhhhhhhiiiiizzzsssssssiiiiiiiiiizzzzzzzzzzuuuuu
(insert 30 seconds of insane digital
glitch...)-boom-boom-chack-boom-boom-chack (...followed by one bar of
super cool, normal tempo breakbeat.).

Turned out he asked the akai to stretch the first 100 samples or so by
several thousand percent :-)

--
Atte

http://atte.dk   http://modlys.dk