[LAU] Perception - Was: Measuring the acoustical characteristics of my studio using FLOSS software?

Charles Z Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 02:36:34 UTC 2014

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 8:54 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com> wrote:
> With my left ear I'm able to hear some frequencies or at least one
> frequency at very low volumes I'm unable to hear with my right ear, so
> technically it's my better ear, but with my right ear understanding the
> content of speech and music is easier to do. Perhaps "content of music"
> isn't a good phrasing, but similar to the content of speech, there's a
> difference for the perception of music by comparing my left with my
> right ear/hearing that seems to be independent of the technical ability
> of hearing. Wit/reason is interacting different with perception from the
> left and right ear.
>
> JFTR my hearing with both ears is ok, there isn't a difference regarding
> physical health of the ears. Regarding the brain, I'm right-hander, but
> dyslexic. Being a left-hander or dyslexic seems to have impact to
> artistically mind.

Dyslexia is a often misunderstood condition, which has to do with
deficits in phonological processing, not lateralization.  There are
two primary "routes" to reading: one whole-word (holistic) and the
other phonological.  There are regions of the brain that respond
differently to words, pseudo-words (phonologically plausible strings),
and non-words (non-phonologically plausible strings).  For dyslexics,
there is an apparent disconnect between visually parsing strings and
retrieving the sounds of phonemes.  Readers with dyslexia often
retrieve the meaning of words as a whole rather than repeating the
sounds of words to themselves.