[LAU] Ubuntu Studio 14.04 Pulse removal question

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Tue Aug 12 06:20:05 UTC 2014

On Tue, 12 Aug 2014, Kaza Kore wrote:

> As far as I know and can tell -k stands for Kill. if you run it twice it
> informs you PA is not running!

Yes but pulse is configured respawn by default, it does take some time to
restart, but does so as soon as you kill it.

> As I stated I had unchecked the all Pulse related options in the Autostart
> settings and it still starts on reboot!

That could be... all it takes is something asking via D-bus if pulse is
there... and then it is.

My personal solution has been to unload module-jackdbus-detect when I do
not want pulse connected to jack. pulse takes almost no cpu that way. The
command to unload the module is:

pactl unload-module module-jackdbus-detect

The package pulseaudio-module-jack can be removed to make this more
permanent, but if you will not use pulse maybe just:

sudo chmod -x /usr/bin/pulseaudio

There may be depends problems if you remove the pulseaudio package
itself... for example you browser may be removed as well. Debian depends
are there to protect dummys.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net