[LAU] Jack transport - was - Ardour/Muse Jack tempo lock

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Wed Aug 13 04:48:12 UTC 2014

On 08/13/2014 06:08 AM, Tim E. Real wrote:
[..]
> OK I think I understand now:
>
> With the current system, the user 'presses play button', but the button
>  then flashes informing the user it will be a few moments before we're
>  actually running, then it stops flashing and system runs.
>
> With your proposal, the 'play' button flashes informing the user the
>  system is busy - BUT - at least when it stops flashing, he is /guaranteed/
>  that the system will start immediately.

While the user-experience may improve, technically that mechanism only
makes sense if it is automated (eg a MMC slave or similar).

A user pressing a button and that event jumping all the fences and hoops
until it finally reaches jack has a random delay to begin with.

With a modern SSDs the seek and pre-buffer time until the transport is
ready to roll is likely shorter than the time it takes for a mouse-click
to be processed by the application on most systems.

2c,
robin