[LAU] Ardour MIDI tracer

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Thu Aug 14 02:16:52 UTC 2014

Is it just me? Has anyone else looked at pitch bend events on the Ardour
MIDI Tracer? Quick test:

  - edit->Preferences->Control surfaces.
  - select both enabled and feedback for generic MIDI.
  - double click on it and select bcf2000 with mackie protocol
  - open an external midi monitor (using qmidiroute here) and connect it to
 	Ardours MIDI control out.
  - also open Ardours MIDI tracer window and connect it to the same output.
  (Now qmidiroute will be in decimal and MIDI Tracer is hex..)
  - use the mouse to move the gain up and down on channel one with an audio track.

I am seeing numbers that make sense on qmidiroute -8013 to 8177, but midi
Tracer only shows two hex digits ever, shouldn't there be four (maybe
three to handle 10bits)? It looks like I am seeing only the LSB (I am not
sure about this as the lowest nyble should be 0). My about box says
3.5.308 so maybe this has been fixed since then. 3.5.380 seems to be were
things are at now. I have looked through the change logs here:
https://ardour.org/whatsnew.html for 3.5.380, (this doesn't seem to be
included in the source package for 3.5.380) and
https://ardour.org/news/3.5.older.html which is included with the source
package. And I don't see any mention of a fix.

BTW, I am having lots of fun with my "MIDI" controler project. Built
around a $3 USB computer keyboard from dollar store. I use two columns for
each strip for 10 strips. Strip one for example is 1->z and 2->x. 1 is
channel select (does nothing right now), 2 is record, q&w are pan control,
a&z are the fader, s is solo and x is mute. up and down changes banks

Ah, banks. I have bank at 5 and am using 8 channels to test. It starts on
channel 1 to 5, bank right does 6 to 8 (good so far), then another bank
right does channel 8. I don't know if this is right or wrong, but my
expectation is that once my controller has even one strip outside the
range of channels that I would no longer be able to bank right. I would
also expect the GUI to make sure all the channels my controler can control
to be visible. My thought is that in the same way a selected track gets a
red border (in the mixer) perhaps a green border around the group of
tracks in the current bank. The BCF2000, for example, does not give much
indication visually of where the banks are at. Mine of course gives none,
but I could make a GUI across the bottom of the screen the controler sits
in front of that does that... it just seems redundant when the mixer is
already on the screen just above. I do realize that the controler code at
least for the MCP stuff is not complete and will get done when it gets
done. What I have already is a wonderful step up.

The transport is on the numeric pad.

All of this could easily change as I add some encoders for pan/faders

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net