[LAU] Trouble with Alsa MIDI connections

Robert Persson halfbeinghalfthing at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 12:52:39 UTC 2014

Hello,

I have two machines running the latest UbuntuStudio. On one of them MIDI is
working fine, but on the other I am having problems.

On the problem machine I can't connect either of my external MIDI keyboards
to another MIDI port while Jack is running. If I highlight the keyboard and
the other port in the QJackCtl Alsa graph and click "connect", nothing
happens. I can however connect them while Jack is inactive, and that
connection will continue working even after Jack has started again.

I am also having a problem with an application running in Wine (Reaper).
Reaper's MIDI port does not appear in the QJackCtl Alsa graph, but Reaper
shows the other MIDI ports available in Alsa in its own preferences.
However if I try to connect it to either of my external keyboards it fails,
and it does so regardless of whether Jack is running. It will however
connect to MIDI Through (which gave me a reasonable workaround when my
routing requirements were simpler than they are now).

Does anyone know what I need to do to get MIDI connections working properly?

Many thanks