[LAU] JACK not working with Audiophile 2496 anymore

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Aug 17 08:04:03 UTC 2014

I get these messages from JACK when I start it using QJackCtl, trying to
use my AudioPhile 2496. This is running on Debian Sid, uname -a reports
"3.14-2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.14.15-2 (2014-08-09) x86_64 GNU/Linux"
(but I was getting the same error on kernel 3.02.4 before that.) I am a
member of the audio group.

JACK starts and runs fine if I pick the "default" interface, but that
doesn't play any audio through the Audiophile. (I have no idea what it's
playing through.)

While parts of Pulse are installed, according to "killall pulse" Pulse
audio is not running. Trying to remove the installed Pulse packages
wanted to also remove a bunch of other apps, such as csound, GIMP, some
KDE4 apps, etc.

I found an old thread on a forum where the poster said installing
"dbus-python" fixed it, but the closest package I could find similar to
that name is "python-dbus" and it's installed.

This is a fresh Debian Sid install and my first experience with Debian's
move to systemd instead of good old reliable init, so could that be
messing things up? Or that it's using PAM (my prior Debian experience
didn't include PAM) and htop shows a number of (sd-pam) processes running)?

jackdmp 1.9.10
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2014 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
audio_reservation_init
Acquire audio card Audio2
creating alsa driver ...
hw:M2496|hw:M2496|512|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 512 frames (10.7 ms), buffer = 2 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit integer little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit integer little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
21:08:30.707 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall
operation failed. - Server communication error. Please check the
messages window for more info.
JackPosixProcessSync::LockedTimedWait error usec = 5000000 err =
Connection timed out
Driver is not running
Cannot create new client
Cannot read socket fd = 14 err = Success
CheckRes error
JackSocketClientChannel read fail
Cannot open qjackctl client
ALSA: poll time out, polled for 15999022 usecs
JackAudioDriver::ProcessAsync: read error, stopping...
21:10:14.445 JACK is stopping...
Jack main caught signal 15
Released audio card Audio2
audio_reservation_finish
21:10:14.463 JACK was stopped successfully.
21:10:14.463 Post-shutdown script...
21:10:14.463 killall jackd
jackd: no process found
21:10:14.879 Post-shutdown script terminated with exit status=256.

aplay -l lists the following audio devices:
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: VT1828S Analog [VT1828S Analog]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: VT1828S Digital [VT1828S Digital]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 2: VT1828S Alt Analog [VT1828S Alt Analog]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 2: M2496 [M Audio Audiophile 24/96], device 0: ICE1712 multi
[ICE1712 multi]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

These problems originally began when I had to reset the BIOS, which
re-enabled the motherboard audio. I tried disabling the motherboard
audio, but then ALSA wouldn't load at all.

My replacement desktop system is too modern to support such old
equipment as the Audiophile, it would be nice to have it working in the
old desktop system where it worked fine for many years, but now no
longer works.

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com