[LAU] File managers for musicians, waveform thumbnails, presentation as tightly packed spiral a'la vinyl ? (Caja, MATE)

djbarney djbarney at djbarney.org
Tue Aug 19 10:43:34 UTC 2014

On 2014-08-14 01:23, Danni Coy wrote:
> May I make two suggestions
> 1) mood files -> some audio players generate these - most notably
> Amarok with the right plugins installed. These break up the audio
> files into 3 bands lows/mids/highs and display the level for each
> band.
> 2) the circular wave displays in freewheeling... These would fit into
> an icon preview very easily.
>
> I have some experience doing preview plugins for Dolphin if you think
> that would be helpful.

Hi. Yes that could be set by the user if they want mood file previews.
Yes, freewheeling thumbs are circular but you can't fit much in a simply
wrapped around (polar coordinates) thumb like that. Think how much
visual information there is on the surface of a vinyl record.

Dolphin plugins would be great, but I want to keep this as easily
adjustable by the user as possible ... setting their won CLI tools
through text settings files. Now a Dolphin plugin that would allow that
?

I'm looking at creating my own interface with Tk/TCL or might just hack
the Caja code.

DJ Barney

> On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 8:45 AM, renato <rennabh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 19:56:49 +0000
>> djbarney <djbarney at djbarney.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Thought I'd air this one to see if there's anyone already using this
>>> kind of thing out there.
>>>
>>> I'd become frustrated by lack of support for musicians in Linux
>>> window manager file managers. No default waveform/spectrogram
>>> support. No MIDI notation previews. No BPM or key info, etc, etc.
>>>
>>> I set up Caja to thumbnail WAV files using Sox ... see some
>>> screenshots on this forum thread ...
>>>
>>> http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12514&p=55280#p55280
>>>
>>> I'm looking at some other thumbnailers as listed on the thread.
>>>
>>> I'm thinking of doing some development of the MATE Caja file browser
>>> to allow better presentation of audio file waveform thumbnails as
>>> currently they can only be square. Maybe LAU members already know of
>>> someone who has done this ? No point in reinventing the wheel ...
>>> otherwise I'll take this to LAD.
>>>

>> Hi, I think samplecat does some of the above. Also I've heard sox has
>> changed syntax between versions before, so it might break your program
>> in the future; others where recommending me ecasound instead... or
>> maybe libsndfile?
>>
>> cheers,
>> renato

~~~