[LAU] gxtuner trouble and alternatives

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Mon Aug 25 11:23:56 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-08-25 at 12:16 +0200, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> I'm on Arch Linux, gxtuner 2.1.

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ pacman -Q gxtuner
gxtuner 2.1-1
[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ pacman -Q jack2
jack2 1.9.10-1

Here gxtuner does recognize my sine waves (voice init) from a DX7, but
high frequencies are ignored and btw. for the frequencies that are
recognised, gxtuner or my DX7 is very inaccurate.

My Boss TU-12H is able to notice all frequencies from the DX7 and claims
that all frequencies are accurate. My hearing claims that the Boss
tuner's claim is ok and that gxtuner is mistake.

Some years ago I tested several tuners. The Boss TU-12H is one of the
best I know, while many other tuners were completely unusable. One Linux
tuner I tested was very good too, IIRC it was fmit but it doesn't work
anymore since years, perhaps it was another Linux tuner. I bought and
tested many tuners, the Boss TU-12H and another one from Korg (not
available anymore) are the only tuners that fit to my taste ... yes, one
Linux tuner, perhaps fmit fit to my needs too, but it stopped working
years ago. I don't test tuners all the times, I simply stay with the
tuner that fits to my needs. You should test any instrument tuner
available for Linux, some might be crap and others might do what you
want.