[LAU] Noo 'pooter :)

Wayne DePrince Jr. waynedpj at in-giro.org
Tue Aug 26 22:26:18 UTC 2014

On mar, 2014-08-26 at 23:26 +0200, David Adler wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 09:24:39PM +0100, Will Godfrey wrote:
>
> > As this will be a clean install, I'm wondering what people might suggest as
> > for best distro to make full use of it - all my other machines have had a
> > progression of debian upgrades so are probably full of crud.
>
> Use Arch. It might sound counter-intuitive but despite (or because
> of(?)) the rolling release model it requires very little maintenance.
>
> The regular glimpse on the homepage's news feed is recommended but
> it's been a long time since anything popped up there that actually
> required manual intervention. If this happens, the instructions have
> proven to be adequate. Other than that, occasionally configuration files
> suffixed *.pacnew/*.pacsave need to be merged and voilà, you have a
> crud-free up-to-date system that won't send you to dependency hell when
> attempting to install recent software.
>
> The above might sound a bit like over-optimistic marketing speak but it
> reflects my experience and from what I've heard it's not just me.
>
> That said, Debian testing didn't exactly give me headaches -- it'd be my
> second choice for audio -- but my experiences with Arch (quite a few
> years now, no re-installation) are plainly positive.
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux_system_maintenance
>

> greetz,
>  -d

    in the same vein, and for similar reasons, i can heartily recommend
Gentoo, or better yet Sabayon (no compiling, binary packages).  along
with the excellent Pro Audio Overlay
http://proaudio.tuxfamily.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page i have been
happily making music with Gentoo/Sabayon for 6+ years.  the big win is
the avoidance of major upgrades with the rolling release.

    also, your message on Arch has me thinking i should check it out as
well ;)

peace, w