[LAU] [Bulk] Re: Lightweight WM that can be used without any issue with audio applications

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Wed Aug 27 10:52:40 UTC 2014

I don't know why the QjackCtl Window sometimes is above the other
windows when using JWM. JWM provides to chose the behavior, but if I
would chose Layer > Above, then at least the Window buttons would be
available. I guess I should test openbox, editing xml files isn't an
issue, I needed to edit JWM's xml config. A small menu is what I want,
for JWM the menu only provides what I often need and by
Alt+F3 xfce4-appfinder is launched. I use JWM with a few Xfce4 apps, but
I replaced many Xfce4 apps by other apps. Xfce4 is stable, RAM and
computer's horsepower aren't issues, but I dislike some Xfce4 stuff. I
don't want crappy GNOME software, I want a perfect terminal emulation,
etc. this is possible with Xfce4, but you need to care about it, remove
gvfs, install roxterm, xfe, rodent or similar, when the Xfce4 defaults
are not exactly what you want. JWM doesn't suffer from
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stacking_window_manager#Limitations . Does
openbox suffer from those issues?

On Wed, 2014-08-27 at 11:24 +0200, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> I actually like enlightenment (e17) for some reason. When I tested it
> in the past it was a bit buggy though, but almost worse was that all
> the themes had a lot of *bling*, meaning artificial gloss and fancy
> animations and other stuff I can't stand. Of course they wanted to show
> off that they can do that with low resource usage and without
> compositing, which is cool, but they should have included at least one
> really boring simple theme. Maybe I'll give it another spin some time.

All the times I tested it, when people claimed that it shouldn't have
bugs anymore, it still was buggy and I also can't stand the themes. They
were ok many years ago, for those who wanted themes in keeping with the
period.

I want themes that are close to GUIs I prefer.

Fit's to my taste:
http://www.alonsoruibal.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/rakarrack.png

Doesn't fit to my taste:
http://guitarix.sourceforge.net/slideshow//gx1.png

I don't care about the design, I can live with gloss and fancy, but the
workflow is important. Not only applications nowadays provide a workflow
I dislike, but also DEs, e.g. Unity and GNOME. I learned audio
engineering in the 80th, so it just might be that I'm addicted to
self-explaining, pragmatic workflows, the new playful toy appeal might
have it's advantages too, but it's not the way I want to go.