[LAU] Noo 'pooter :)

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Wed Aug 27 14:09:23 UTC 2014

On Tue, 26 Aug 2014 23:26:04 +0200
David Adler <david.jo.adler at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 09:24:39PM +0100, Will Godfrey wrote:
>
> > As this will be a clean install, I'm wondering what people might suggest as
> > for best distro to make full use of it - all my other machines have had a
> > progression of debian upgrades so are probably full of crud.
>
> Use Arch. It might sound counter-intuitive but despite (or because
> of(?)) the rolling release model it requires very little maintenance.

Another Archer here.  I go way back with Linux, to the days of compiling
Yggdrasil in the early 90s, and even further back than that with SysV and
SunOS Unixes, so I like the amount of control over the OS Arch gives me.

I also like the fact that it will only install what I want in the OS.
I've never had PulseAudio(ptui!) on the machine which has saved me a lot
of aggravation that I'd had with Fedora-based installations.

The wikis for installation are quite good, but the process can be picky.
If at all possible, I recommend starting with a fresh system drive where
you don't care if you muck it up a time or two.  Once it's running, it's
pretty easy to maintain.  As others have mentioned, every now and then
something changes that requires some thought before installing (I'm
reminded of the changeover to systemd) but reading the Arch website every
now and then will ket you know of possible stumbling blocks.

Good luck!

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com