[LAU] Successor/replacement for RME HDSP+Multiface?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Thu Aug 28 16:14:18 UTC 2014

On Thu, 28 Aug 2014, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 11:52 AM, Moshe Werner <moshwe at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>       בתאריך 28 באוג 2014 18:48, "Paul Davis" <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>
>       כתב:
>
>       > On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 11:27 AM, Jörn Nettingsmeier
>       <nettings at stackingdwarves.net> wrote:
>       >>
>       >>
>       >>
>       >> no personal experience, but i guess the ff400/800 support is
>       fairly complete by now. check with jonathan woithe on the ffado list
>       to make sure.
>       >
>       >
>       > just in time for firewire to ride off into the sunset ..
>
> This made me laugh. Interesting what the next technology is going to be.
> Thunderbolt? USB 3?
>
> USB3 without a doubt.

I notice many of the FireWire audio interfaces call themselves Thunderbolt
compatible, with an adaptor. I would be interested to know if that adaptor
is just for pinout or needs logic/firmware to work. I think that the FW
chipsets, like the ICE1712, are all old. I have seen the odd audio
interface that says USB3 though (as part of a digital mixing console, if I
recall correctly). However, USB3 will be the next set of new interfaces.

I am sure that about the time most people have bought a USB3 device (audio
or otherwise) a new interface will come out so everyone can buy evrything
all over again... It seems about the time I buy a new system, I have to
buy all new peripherals too.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net