[LAU] Successor/replacement for RME HDSP+Multiface?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Aug 29 00:37:53 UTC 2014

On Thursday 28 August 2014 11:48:13 Paul Davis did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 11:27 AM, Jأ¶rn Nettingsmeier <
>
> nettings at stackingdwarves.net> wrote:
> > no personal experience, but i guess the ff400/800 support is fairly
> > complete by now. check with jonathan woithe on the ffado list to make
> > sure.
>
> just in time for firewire to ride off into the sunset ...

Sorry Paul, but while Apple has took aim and shot it down in flames over a
decade ago because they wanted a royalty on every socket made, its not
dead yet, and we will not have services over it until such time as we have
the same performance from USB.  And we are one heck of a long row of apple
trees from getting that kind of performance from USB.

When I can plug in a usb movie camera, download it in real time, edit out
my camera shakies, and re-record it back to the digital Hi-8 tape it came
from, again in real time, I might change my mind.  USB is nice, you can
hang stuff on the buss and keep adding hubs until someone brings back a
sample of the moon and it really is green cheese.  But unlike firewire, I
have yet to see it Just Work(TM), for realtime video WITH 100%
synchronized audio, like firewire does.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)