[LAU] i5 Hyper-Threading, BIOS settings and Arch n00b pointers

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Fri Aug 29 15:38:28 UTC 2014

On Fri, 29 Aug 2014, dale wrote:

> Although that still begs the question of whether it being turned off in
> BIOS/UFEI before or after installation actually makes any difference...

(hyperthreading) can be turned off after boot by telling the kernel not to
use either odd or even numbered Cores. I do not think doing it in the bios
is better or more effective as the idea is to make sure one thread does
not interfere with another. The only difference I could see is that it may
be that the bios switch may remove power from the secondary thread parts
of the chip for cooler running, but I do not know.

It should be possible to turn off the use of cores on the fly so that one
could have a low latency record session with less performance and a higher
latency mixdown with more performance (or video processing/editing).

I am just thinking that the P4 I gave to my son still has HT turned off, I
should turn it back on.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net