[LAU] Successor/replacement for RME HDSP+Multiface?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Aug 30 10:31:36 UTC 2014

On Thursday 28 August 2014 23:01:10 Sam Mulvey did opine
And Gene did reply:

> > Not this one, it uses metal tape in the same casette as a Hi-8 would
> > use, but about a tenner more expensive. and is "digital Hi-8"
> > format.
> >
> > Reasonably sharp too at 720p.  Go look it up, its a Sony HandyCam
> > DCR- TRV460 NTSC. and about 11 years old IIRC.  And one of the first
> > with lithium batteries.  I can't quickly find the charger, but after
> > laying for at least 2 years, it still fires right up.
> >
> > I have shot several weddings with it, processed it down to fit on a
> > dvd using kino and sold the disks several times now.  Many many
> > times sharper than a vhs deck.
>
> ..and I think there's a notable point here in the ability to read and
> write to a device on the chain in realtime is a question of bandwidth
> regardless of what the media is.
>
> -Sam

I will not argue that point Sam.  But I will note that firewire Just Works
in real time.  I have usb2.0 stuff both here, a veritable weeping willow
ith everything plugged in and out in the shop with cnc machinery, using a
usb2.0 camera for machine vision.  And while lsusb -vv says its recognized
and running as a usb2.0 camera, and it is the only device on that port,
its nearly worthless because the frame rate for a sustained image on the
computer is about 2 to 3 frames a second.  Great picture, but you move the
machine 3 thousandths of an inch, then move your eyes from the keyboard
back to the monitor so you can check the crosshair registration on the
work target and still have to wait for the video to catch up.  USB2.0 has
more than enough bandwidth to handle a 60 fps interlaced pix, according to
the specs.  I have never ever seen evidence of it.

Nother furinstance, my printer, a Brother HL-3170-CDW color laser, is
hooked up both ways, a std usb cable in one port, and a 100mbit ethernet
cable from my cheap switch to the RJ45 on it.  The pages per minute nearly
doubles if I feed it thru the ethernet port.  Unless its running in duplex
mode.  Thats a huge time equalizer...

And I found the charger cable, it was laying in plain sight, on the floor
2 feet from my feet.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Cheers, Gene Heskett