[LAU] KXStudio reminded me of why I don't like ZynAddSubFX

Bruno Ruviaro bruviaro at scu.edu
Sun Aug 31 00:16:26 UTC 2014

On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 1:25 AM, david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> wrote:

> ​[snip]
>
>  Cadence includes the Catia and Claudia tools to manage connections (see
>> Cadence tools tab).
>> Catia is the simple version that only does the basic stuff,
>> Claudia is a frontend to LADISH (a session manager) which is obviously a
>> bit more complex.
>>
>> These tools are described into a bit more detail here:
>> http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/Applications
>>

> Sounds silly to me. Have to run yet another application to do something
> that QJackCtl does in a subwindow? Although Claudia sounds useful.

​It's not silly, it's just proposing a different workflow. One of the cool
things about Cadence (for me at least) you can easily set it up to start
jack by default when you login -- you don't have to open anything in the
next login, not even Cadence itself. Thanks to the available bridges (which
also can auto-start), you can also have a2jmidi and pulseaudio jack sink
starting and running automatically.

In short, it is one *less* application to open -- I simply no longer need
QJackCtl in most cases. And whenever I need to connect something manually,
*then* I open Catia, the simple interface that is there just to for that
purpose.

This set-up is particularly useful when I'm dealing with a group of ten or
more students in a class or workshop, with 99% of people trying Linux for
the first time. It is so much easier to be able to go straight to
SuperCollider or Ardour or Hydrogen, bypassing completely any initial set
up or talk about Jack -- especially when time is so short. Later, when more
complex routing needs arise, that's often the best time to introduce the
talk about Jack.

My 2 cents,

Bruno