[LAU] Open Source Audio Interface (was Successor/replacement for RME HDSP+Multiface?)

Moshe Werner moshwe at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 07:13:40 UTC 2014

Hi all,

all the recent talk about less audio interfaces being supported for Linux
got me thinking.
First I want to mention that I'm neither a programmer nor an electrical
engineer, but what if we could develop our own AI?

We could start a Kickstarter project for the first open source AI.
I am sure many people would invest in the possibility of having a real
Linux natively supported high quality AI.

I imagine a modular approach with options to customize and add different
features like building blocks.
One user needs a lot of preamps, the other works mostly over ADAT or Madi...
We could even implement a DSP chip with LV2 effects to lessen the CPU load.
The possibilities are endless and I believe that it would broaden the
community instanly.

Maybe this is just wishful thinking, but it would solve one of the biggest
problems for Linux audio musicians.

Cheers

Moshe