[LAU] Open Source Audio Interface (was Successor/replacement for RME HDSP+Multiface?)

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sun Aug 31 22:41:44 UTC 2014

On Sun, 31 Aug 2014, Moshe Werner wrote:

> Interesting, I didn't know this. Can you send a link to it?

Here is another thread:
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2009-November/064520.html
It moves here:
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-dev/2009-November/024713.html
And just in case you ever thoght of doing this:
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-dev/2009-December/025080.html

I do not know where this has gotten to. I think it surfaces again as
another thread, maybe related to the development board or cpu chip.

When I was looking at it, it seemed that a dac/adc had about the same
interface as s/pdif, aes3. ADAT chips are harder to find. aes10 (I think
thats the right one) or MADI, is data over an ethernet IF and as such is
sent as aes3 channels in series (over simplified a lot) That is to say
mostly software once the ethernet IF is chosen. However, it would mean
rewriting the ethernet driver for the interface. There seems to a newer
MADI that no longer uses optical, but cat5. It may be that a standard
ethernet card would work for that with the right driver.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net