[LAU] Korg microStation editor and Wine

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sat Dec 13 23:46:33 UTC 2014

On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 00:37:37 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 18:17:25 -0500, jonetsu at teksavvy.com wrote:
> > On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 17:33:32 -0500
> > "jonetsu at teksavvy.com" <jonetsu at teksavvy.com> wrote:
> >
> > >   I am trying the KORG microStation editor (Windows app with Wine
> > > on Linux Mint 17) and it has a connection with the synth and can
> > > change some params, so that looks not too bad.
> >
> > I also have another question.  The installation mentioned that some
> > features might not be available because the USB driver is not
> > KORG's. On Linux systems with Wine, is it possible to install such
> > drivers ?
>
> Assumed the Korg driver is a Windows driver, then it can't work. You
> need a Linux driver, since the "host" is Linux, consider wine as a
> "Windows guest".

IOW the real hardware is handled by linux (linux = the kernel), a
driver for the Windows kernel doesn't provide features for the real
hardware, it only could work for emulated, virtual hardware, and the
emulated, virtual hardware can only provide what's provided by the real
hardware that is handled by the "host"/linux.