[LAU] Korg microStation editor and Wine

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sun Dec 14 02:56:16 UTC 2014

On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 21:42:21 -0500, jonetsu at teksavvy.com wrote:
> What would a VST plug-in editor offer more ?  Would I be able to
> sequence the changing of sound parameters for instance ?

I don't know if Linux sequencers support VST editor automation. As I
already pointed out, I used automation for editors, when I used the
Atari ST as sequencer.

1. Atari ST MIDI is hard real-time, since the rout from hardware to
software is directly (no protocols from a to b, as for modern
computers) and no multi-tasking is involved, IOW real-time abilities
were much better these days.

2. I used separated outputs from the sequencer to the synth inputs. I
didn't send the data of 16 channels including SysEx by one MIDI output.

If you have dedicated outputs and you just send SysEx to modify a
filter, then the non-real-time SysEx data is without a checksum and much
shorter than e.g. the real-time data for a pitch bend, IOW, SysEx can
be used in real-time and yes, you could control some things, that might
be not available by MIDI control change. OTOH many synth provide to
assign control change data to filters, so sometimes no SysEx is needed.