[LAU] Korg microStation editor and Wine

jonetsu at teksavvy.com jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Sun Dec 14 13:55:48 UTC 2014

On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 13:26:34 +0100
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 09:45:20 +0100, Atte wrote:
> > vst plugins offer total integration with the host, everything is
> > controllable through either realtime midi knobs or automation
>
> Assumed it should work, then http://sourceforge.net/projects/wineasio/
> might be needed.

Just now I installed dssi-vst, by searching around on the net.  It does
start the VST ms editor, and Renoise can see it as MIDI output.  At this
point I can surely make a track with a sound from the KORG ms, although
I do not see any benefits when compared to having the synth through
MIDI w/o any editor whatsoever.  Of notice, the hardware keyboard now
does not make any sound.  Only through Renoise or the editor itself can
a sound be heard.

Using the editor, I slide the EQ wet/dry ratio to see if this gets
recorded.  There's no MIDI message received by Renoise.  Thyat would
make sense since Renoise cannot see the plugéin editor as input (it is
not listed in the drop down menu choices).

I could try with Ardour also I guess if this is more suitable for the
mailing list. Ardour MIDI interface should work with this also although
I haven't used any Ardour MIDI tracks yet and do not know how it works
at all.

BTW, the frigger dssi-vst 386 Linux Mint package has removed my
favorite Jamin application upon install !  This is very stupid, I find.

Back to the plugin, Renoise can see the KORG ms itself through MIDI as
input.  It can also see /as input/ the Wine MIDI driver/Wine ALSA
output.

In short, I still don't see how to use a VST plug-in in such a way that
it benefits from a regular MIDI use.

Now, what is ASIO and what can the wineasio do ?