[LAU] Headphones

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Wed Dec 17 07:16:48 UTC 2014

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> And while driving a car with a cheap car hifi. Unfortunately I can't
> pay for a car any more, but the sound of the motor + the averaged car
> hify provides much more information about the needed compression for
> our mixes, than an Auratone in a professional control room does.

I've thought about this now and then for years -- we all end up checking
our mixes in our cars.  Even the people with acoustically treated rooms
and expensive monitors who say they have equipped themselves to mix with
confidence still go out and check in the car.

Why don't we just mix in our cars?  :)

It's very tempting to get a car stereo with a direct input, equip the
laptop with some kind of nice USB audio interface, and run Ardour in the
car!  Maybe I could even strap some kind of 5-octave Midi controller
keyboard across the dash.  Just don't mix and drive...

(Hmm...possible idea for future Ardour development...Ardour as an
embedded OEM app for car manufacturers...could bring a whole new meaning
to "Detroit techno"...if there were anything still left in Detroit...)