[LAU] Is CentOS good for audio stuff?

Roberto Suárez Soto talkingxouba at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 11:59:53 UTC 2014

El 24/12/14 a las 09:34, Roberto Suárez Soto escribió:
> I'm thinking about switching to CentOS (from Ubuntu) at home, because
> of several reasons, but wonder: is it good for running Ardour, Jack
> and related stuff? I don't mind using Ardour 2, as I don't need
> anything very sophisticated, and would only want something that I can
> configure once and stop worrying about. I do sysadmin work for a
> living, and would rather not do it when I get home :-)

     I'm replying myself to give some closure to this thread, so it
doesn't stay forever in the limbo of unfinished threads :-)

     After serious consideration and the great input from this list,
I'll stick to Ubuntu LTS. What drove me to this decision:

     - Having all the software I need (and lots more) in the standard
repos: this made Ubuntu win over CentOS, where I'd need to use
non-standard repos and maybe compile some stuff myself. Not speaking
only about audio software, but also desktop stuff like the Nvidia
proprietary driver, which is handled nicely by Debian/Ubuntu.
     - Having a long support cycle: this made Ubuntu LTS win over
Fedora, which could be a great choice if not for its 13-month support
period.
     - Being a good distro for everyday needs: this discarded AV-Linux
and other specialized distros.

     A huge "thank you" to all who replied to my message.

     Regards,

--
     Roberto Suarez Soto              Seven are your burning fires
                                                Seven your desires